Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hare Today, Goomb Tomorrow

Well, that’s done.

My hair started coming out faster today. It wasn’t fistfuls, but I’d get four to six strands each time I ran my hand through my hair, so it was time.

I didn’t want to make a big deal out of it. A number of people have offered to get their heads shaved with me as a show of solidarity, which is very sweet, and my hairdresser offered to take it off at no charge but, when the time came, I just wanted to be anonymous.

I went over to my local Hair Butchery, which was the best possible choice. The woman who cut off my hair barely spoke English. She wasn’t interested in how many kids I have or how much weight I’ve lost. I said, “I have cancer. Shave it off.” She said, “All of it?” I said, “Yes.” And she went to work.

The first time I saw the side of my head in the mirror – well, that was a little freaky – but in a cool way. I thought, “Maybe I won’t grow it back so long.”

Early reports indicate that people are in fact nicer to cancer patients.

8 comments:

  1. annie. you look beautiful. truly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look beautiful Annie! Jeff D, (friend of Hillel's)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does lint stick to your head? When I shaved mine bald I collected lots of lint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. Stephen, too funny! I was wearing one of Elaine's fabulous bandanas all day, but once I took it off, I couldn't stop rubbing my own head! Fuzzy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Hillel. One day about ten years ago, for absoultely no reason, I went home from cooking. I got out the Bic and shaved all the hair on my head off. Using a ball-point pen was BRUTAL, let me tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know Ann, i'm not one to lie, im brutally honest, i actually like the shaved look on you, lol. Of course now i wanna touch it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bring it, John! Seriously, we should do lunch. The head is uber-fuzzy and cool. :)

    ReplyDelete