Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Mediport

Time to get the mediport!

A mediport is a valve that's inserted under the skin and connects to a major vein in the chest. They can use it to draw blood or to inject medicine, e.g. chemo. It can stay in forever if you need it and prevents my one meager vein from getting traumatized again and again and again for the next year or so.

I've heard the implant procedure hurts like a bitch.

I guess this is my very first surgery. It's kind of amazing that I've gotten to 33 years old without ever having surgery. I'm a little freaked, but I'm considering it a trial run for all the other surgeries I'm going to need. :)

Yesterday was tough. These changes in direction hit me hard and require mental adjustment. Luckily the "thrown for a loop" intervals get shorter and shorter the more it happens. I'm in good spirits today.

2 comments:

  1. So you'll be a cyborg then - machine and woman combined

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, and it's totally making the entire "you've got cancer thing" worthwhile.

    Then again, I was hoping for super powers when I had my bone scan (I was radioactive for 24 hours!) but no dice.

    ReplyDelete