Friday, October 23, 2009

Cycle 4

Wow! I can't believe it's been so long since I've posted to this blog!

Started cycle 4 today. I can't believe I'm almost 2/3 done with chemo. It's possible I'm still in just the very early post-chemo, pre-sick phase of cycle four, but (knock on wood) I feel pretty good right now. I don't remember feeling this good last time the night of chemo, but I don't want to jinx it.

I had a wonderful dinner last night with my sister, my mom, two of my cousins, and an aunt. It was so much fun to hang out with everyone. We were laughing so hard, I'm surprised we didn't get kicked out of the joint. Victoria's Gastro Pub in Columbia? Definitely worth a visit.

I have been anxious to find out if I'll qualify for genetic counseling to determine if I have one of the breast cancer genes, which are also markers for ovarian cancer. Since women with the gene who get cancer in 1 breast are 70% likely to get cancer in the other breast at some point (per one of my surgeons), I think it's worth exploring to determine if I should have both breasts removed next year when I'll be having a mastectomy.

My oncologist's first reaction was that my insurance might not pay for it because I have no family history. That's pretty disappointing, but he did get me a consult with the genetic counselors, so I'm trying to schedule that now. At first I thought that meant that I would be able to get the test, but now I'm thinking it means I get to have an appointment with the person who will decide if I get the test. So my hopes are dashed somewhat.

Dave isn't in favor of the test. He's been reading about false negatives and stuff. But I don't want to go through this again. Not to mention, ovarian cancer is very insidious. It jumps to stage four with few symptoms, which makes removal of the ovaries (if I have the gene) a pretty logical option (with a bit of a delay, if we decide to have another baby).

I'm not trying to freak out about this or anything. There's time. I'm just saying it'd be good to have the facts. Not to mention my sister's pretty interested in the results, and I can't say I blame her.

I did find out last night (in between bouts of tea coming out of my nose from laughing so hard) that another aunt, who passed away a few years ago, had breast cancer. She didn't die of it, but she had it, so I figure that helps my chances.

I should say that I don't really have too many horror stories about my insurance. I realize lots of people do, but Kaiser's been pretty good to us so far. It's been a hellish ride, but that's just the nature of it, I think. They allowed pretty much every test I could have. So I'm hopeful this one will happen too. If it doesn't, then it doesn't and we'll just have to stay on top of it, I guess.

Anyway, finger's crossed that I feel this good tomorrow and Sunday, people.

1 comment:

  1. good luck finding out about the gene. i know you are like i am and would like to be proactive. might as well get rid of all of it if it could turn on you. i'm with you there. let us know what you find out!

    ReplyDelete