Friday, July 24, 2009

Short 'do

Even though we're still up in the air about what treatment will look like and when it will start, I decided to go ahead and cut my hair short (quite short, for me!). I told my hairdresser that I wanted to "transition to bald gracefully."

Speaking of hairdressers, it's funny to say "my hairdresser," because I bounce around a lot. I'm really, really bad about getting my hair cut. I just don't like to spend the time or the money, so I usually go at least a month too long in between haircuts.

I was walking around Chevy Chase yesterday after I picked up my MRI films and I thought about popping into one of the expensive salons down there to see if they could fit me in. (Probably wouldn't have been tough - they were all empty). I thought, in a twisted way that only I could think it, that if I had to lose my hair, I might as well have a really fantastic, really expensive haircut right beforehand.

In the end, I opted for Victoria, who has given me my top three haircuts of all time, and works at In Salon in Aspen Hill near my old house. I like Victoria a lot, but I feel bad about going to see her because I only show up every 4 months and by then she's kind of forgotten who I am and we have to do the whole "how many kids do you have?" thing, and anyway my hair's a rat's nest and she deserves better. But when it came to this I thought, she's the one.

Turns out that was the right choice. "When it starts to come out, if it does," she said, "call me and I'll take the rest off for you. No charge."

So here it is. Tell me it's gorgeous, please:



Oh, but first I'll tell you that it wasn't that traumatic, getting all that hair cut off. We cut it once, decided it was still too long, and then cut it again. I think I look a little like Molly Ringwald in The Breakfast Club. I'll take that, so feel free to repeat it back to me if you like.

Since I'm apparently obsessing over my looks in the post, I'd also like to announce that I'm getting an eye exam on August 6 so I can order new contacts. Because the only thing I can think of that's worse than being bald is being bald and wearing glasses. Yeah, that's silly.

1 comment: